Newlyweds Velma Klingler, 87, and Raymond Semenske, 81, both residents of the Oak Hill Village assisted living facility in Waukesha, share a laugh Saturday during their reception at the facility following their wedding service at Grace Lutheran Church.
John Semenske never envisioned being the best man at his dad’s wedding. However, he assumed the role and toasted best wishes to the bride and groom.
"I can’t say I was expecting to be at my Dad’s wedding," he said in his speech. "My Dad always says it’s all in God’s hands. I truly think the two of you getting together is part of that."
Raymond Semenske and Velma Klingler, both in their 80s, were married Saturday at Grace Lutheran Church. Family and friends gathered following the ceremony at Oak Hill Village, where the happy couple reside.
"Everyone in our family thinks this is great. I want to welcome Vel to the family. We are blessed and delighted to have her," John Semenske said.
The couple is grateful for getting a second chance at love, but they wanted to include their deceased first spouses in the matter. Both were previously married for 54 years, with Raymond married to Eleanor Semenske and Velma to Les Klingler.
"I took Vel to my first wife’s grave site to introduce her, and then I went with Vel to her husband’s grave," Raymond Semenske said.
Although eloping was a possibility, his five grown children encouraged him to marry his new wife properly. He even got down on one knee and proposed after getting some advice.
"After I proposed, she needed to help me up because I got stuck down on there," Raymond Semenske said. "John convinced me to give her a diamond ring on Thanksgiving."
The two became friends about a decade ago in the halls of the senior apartment complex. The friendship blossomed into love when Velma supported Raymond when he was going through chemotherapy in June for colon cancer.
"With Velma living on the third floor and me on the ground floor, I thought it didn’t make sense for us to be running up and down the steps to see each other," said Raymond Semenske, who has lived at Oak Hill Village for 12 years. "We didn’t want to move in together unless we were married."
Instead of the traditional white, the bride sparkled in a blue and silver dress while the groom was outfitted in a suit. Velma’s nephew, Jerry Wright, escorted his aunt down the aisle, where the couple exchanged wedding vows and matching wedding bands at the church. The reception was complete with the cake being cut and live entertainment provided by accordion player Michael Dombrowski.
Oak Hill Terrace and Oak Hill Village Executive Director Robert Best said excitement for the upcoming nuptials consumed the senior complex.
"Seeing Ray and Vel walking down the hall holding hands makes the other residents feel good. We are so happy for them," he said. "It has been interesting to watch their relationship unfold."
Raymond’s daughter, Joanne Brunet, supported Velma as matron of honor and his daughter, Buffy Kokke was a bridesmaid. His sons, Curtis and Dave Semenske, were ushers for the day.
Four of his six grandchildren were also in the wedding party, including Jacob Semenske as the groomsmen assistant, Benjamin Semenske as the ring bearer, and Emma and Claire Semenske as the flower girls.
"We are happy to have our families included on the special day," the new Mrs. Velma Semenske said.
The newlyweds have decided to escape the chilly January weather and honeymoon this week in Branson, Mo.
"I always thought my dad was never meant to be alone," said Raymond’s daughter, Joanne Brunet of Waukesha. "Vel is really special and she makes my Dad happy."
E-mail: ebultman@conleynet.com
© Copyright 2008, Conley Group
Remember ME - You Me and Dementia
January 19, 2009
USA: Never too old for love
.
WAUKESHA / Greater Milwaukee Today / January 19, 2009
Senior center residents, in their 80s, exchange vows after friendship blossoms
By Emily Bultman - GM Today Staff
Newlyweds Velma Klingler, 87, and Raymond Semenske, 81, both residents of the Oak Hill Village assisted living facility in Waukesha, share a laugh Saturday during their reception at the facility following their wedding service at Grace Lutheran Church.
John Semenske never envisioned being the best man at his dad’s wedding. However, he assumed the role and toasted best wishes to the bride and groom.
"I can’t say I was expecting to be at my Dad’s wedding," he said in his speech. "My Dad always says it’s all in God’s hands. I truly think the two of you getting together is part of that."
Raymond Semenske and Velma Klingler, both in their 80s, were married Saturday at Grace Lutheran Church. Family and friends gathered following the ceremony at Oak Hill Village, where the happy couple reside.
"Everyone in our family thinks this is great. I want to welcome Vel to the family. We are blessed and delighted to have her," John Semenske said.
The couple is grateful for getting a second chance at love, but they wanted to include their deceased first spouses in the matter. Both were previously married for 54 years, with Raymond married to Eleanor Semenske and Velma to Les Klingler.
"I took Vel to my first wife’s grave site to introduce her, and then I went with Vel to her husband’s grave," Raymond Semenske said.
Although eloping was a possibility, his five grown children encouraged him to marry his new wife properly. He even got down on one knee and proposed after getting some advice.
"After I proposed, she needed to help me up because I got stuck down on there," Raymond Semenske said. "John convinced me to give her a diamond ring on Thanksgiving."
The two became friends about a decade ago in the halls of the senior apartment complex. The friendship blossomed into love when Velma supported Raymond when he was going through chemotherapy in June for colon cancer.
"With Velma living on the third floor and me on the ground floor, I thought it didn’t make sense for us to be running up and down the steps to see each other," said Raymond Semenske, who has lived at Oak Hill Village for 12 years. "We didn’t want to move in together unless we were married."
Instead of the traditional white, the bride sparkled in a blue and silver dress while the groom was outfitted in a suit. Velma’s nephew, Jerry Wright, escorted his aunt down the aisle, where the couple exchanged wedding vows and matching wedding bands at the church. The reception was complete with the cake being cut and live entertainment provided by accordion player Michael Dombrowski.
Oak Hill Terrace and Oak Hill Village Executive Director Robert Best said excitement for the upcoming nuptials consumed the senior complex.
"Seeing Ray and Vel walking down the hall holding hands makes the other residents feel good. We are so happy for them," he said. "It has been interesting to watch their relationship unfold."
Raymond’s daughter, Joanne Brunet, supported Velma as matron of honor and his daughter, Buffy Kokke was a bridesmaid. His sons, Curtis and Dave Semenske, were ushers for the day.
Four of his six grandchildren were also in the wedding party, including Jacob Semenske as the groomsmen assistant, Benjamin Semenske as the ring bearer, and Emma and Claire Semenske as the flower girls.
"We are happy to have our families included on the special day," the new Mrs. Velma Semenske said.
The newlyweds have decided to escape the chilly January weather and honeymoon this week in Branson, Mo.
"I always thought my dad was never meant to be alone," said Raymond’s daughter, Joanne Brunet of Waukesha. "Vel is really special and she makes my Dad happy."
E-mail: ebultman@conleynet.com
© Copyright 2008, Conley Group
Newlyweds Velma Klingler, 87, and Raymond Semenske, 81, both residents of the Oak Hill Village assisted living facility in Waukesha, share a laugh Saturday during their reception at the facility following their wedding service at Grace Lutheran Church.
John Semenske never envisioned being the best man at his dad’s wedding. However, he assumed the role and toasted best wishes to the bride and groom.
"I can’t say I was expecting to be at my Dad’s wedding," he said in his speech. "My Dad always says it’s all in God’s hands. I truly think the two of you getting together is part of that."
Raymond Semenske and Velma Klingler, both in their 80s, were married Saturday at Grace Lutheran Church. Family and friends gathered following the ceremony at Oak Hill Village, where the happy couple reside.
"Everyone in our family thinks this is great. I want to welcome Vel to the family. We are blessed and delighted to have her," John Semenske said.
The couple is grateful for getting a second chance at love, but they wanted to include their deceased first spouses in the matter. Both were previously married for 54 years, with Raymond married to Eleanor Semenske and Velma to Les Klingler.
"I took Vel to my first wife’s grave site to introduce her, and then I went with Vel to her husband’s grave," Raymond Semenske said.
Although eloping was a possibility, his five grown children encouraged him to marry his new wife properly. He even got down on one knee and proposed after getting some advice.
"After I proposed, she needed to help me up because I got stuck down on there," Raymond Semenske said. "John convinced me to give her a diamond ring on Thanksgiving."
The two became friends about a decade ago in the halls of the senior apartment complex. The friendship blossomed into love when Velma supported Raymond when he was going through chemotherapy in June for colon cancer.
"With Velma living on the third floor and me on the ground floor, I thought it didn’t make sense for us to be running up and down the steps to see each other," said Raymond Semenske, who has lived at Oak Hill Village for 12 years. "We didn’t want to move in together unless we were married."
Instead of the traditional white, the bride sparkled in a blue and silver dress while the groom was outfitted in a suit. Velma’s nephew, Jerry Wright, escorted his aunt down the aisle, where the couple exchanged wedding vows and matching wedding bands at the church. The reception was complete with the cake being cut and live entertainment provided by accordion player Michael Dombrowski.
Oak Hill Terrace and Oak Hill Village Executive Director Robert Best said excitement for the upcoming nuptials consumed the senior complex.
"Seeing Ray and Vel walking down the hall holding hands makes the other residents feel good. We are so happy for them," he said. "It has been interesting to watch their relationship unfold."
Raymond’s daughter, Joanne Brunet, supported Velma as matron of honor and his daughter, Buffy Kokke was a bridesmaid. His sons, Curtis and Dave Semenske, were ushers for the day.
Four of his six grandchildren were also in the wedding party, including Jacob Semenske as the groomsmen assistant, Benjamin Semenske as the ring bearer, and Emma and Claire Semenske as the flower girls.
"We are happy to have our families included on the special day," the new Mrs. Velma Semenske said.
The newlyweds have decided to escape the chilly January weather and honeymoon this week in Branson, Mo.
"I always thought my dad was never meant to be alone," said Raymond’s daughter, Joanne Brunet of Waukesha. "Vel is really special and she makes my Dad happy."
E-mail: ebultman@conleynet.com
© Copyright 2008, Conley Group