Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

May 14, 2009

INDIA: In their 90s, they are still strong on ballot

. CHANDIGARH, Punjab / The Times of India / May 14, 2009 By Priyanka Sahay, Times News Network Their shoulders are bent but decisions firm. The couple, 95-year-old Inder Singh Sabarwal and his 90-year-old wife Preetam Sabarwal have not missed out on voting in a single Lok Sabha election so far. Inder Singh Sabarwal gushes, “We are not hung up on any party but vote for a candidate who has worked for benefit of the country.” Clad in a crisp white kurta and pyjama, Inder Singh was relaxing at his house 523 at Sector 8-B after being through with the foremost duty of the day that was to exercise his franchise in the elections at 11 am on Wednesday, when TOI met him. Singh proudly said, “I cast my first vote when India became a republic.” He recalled that years ago, even when as a presiding officer, he would be posted at any remote village of Punjab during elections, he would make sure that he came back to his place for some time in order to exercise his franchise. Having participated in the second world war, Singh, father of retired wing commander JS Sabarwal, said patriotism is in their genes. “It was my father’s sheer wish that I join Indian Air Force. In fact, it would be apt to say that I am what I am today due to guidance of my parents,” said retired Wing Commander JS Sabarwal. He said while one vote might not seem to matter, if a person loses or wins the election by a single vote, the significance of a lone vote is apparent. Born in Chakwal in Jhelum district now in Pakistan in 1914, he took up a government job in 1945. However, in view of the grim realities of the political scenario in Pakistan in those days, he appealed for a transfer and was initially transferred to Rohtak from where he was posted in Amritsar in 1947. On being asked how it feels when the couple go together for voting at this age, Sabarwal smiled and said, “It feels great. We take decisions together on such issues. He never pressurizes me, assuming he has more knowledge on matters of politics than me, to vote for a particular party. I myself decide whom I would vote for.” “She was only 15 when I married her and since then, I have been taking suggestions from her on issues that matter,” he added, resting one of his hands on the walking stick and the other on her shoulders. Copyright © 2009 Bennett Coleman & Co. Ltd.