Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

April 9, 2009

USA: Note

PORTLAND, Maine / The Elder Storytelling Place / A TimeGoesBy Blog / April 9, 2009

Note By Sydney Halet I was here At eight as we agreed; The air was cool, The sky was blue. Your note was there; At first, I passed it by As it lay there, And then, it caught my eye. Somewhere, a bell Tolled as I read your note, And my heart beat quickly. You said, “My son, It’s time we said goodbye. I cannot bear To see the tears you’ll cry. My life is done: But, you are young; your life Has just begun. I’m at evening, While you are still at dawn. My dreaming’s done; Your dreams have just begun. And so, I leave, Before I break your heart; That I may spend My remaining days apart. Don’t be cross. My days have been a buoy On seas of floss. And so I close. My time is almost done. My final advice... Live like a man, my son.” I turned to leave, The note still in my grip; One salty tear was caught Upon my lower lip. He went to die, And I was left alone. My course was clear; Somehow, I’d go on. I’m the heir to this... My father’s legacy. I AM a man... Adam’s son, Nature’s dew; Yes, I was here; My father, so were you! _________________________
Source: TIME GOES BY / THE ELDER STORYTELLING PLACE
© 2009 Ronni Bennett.