Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

March 19, 2009

INDIA: Senior citizens omitted from poll roster

TRICHY, Tamil Nadu / ExpressBuzz / March 19, 2009
PASSED OVER: Senior citizens anxiously check for their names in the voters list at the City Corporation, Tiruchy As the general elections are approaching, the government machinery is busying itself to ensure a free and fair poll. Though the Election Photo Identity Card (EPIC) coverage in the district has touched the 99.9 per cent mark, as claimed by the District Collector and Returning Officer T Soundiah, the number of voters left out of the rolls and approaching the officials for inclusion has been increasing, especially from among the senior citizens. M Marimuthu (63), a retired senior office assistant of PWD and a resident of Old Post Office Road who eagerly visited the Corporation office to collect his election photo card (EPIC) on Tuesday said, “I have been moving from pillar to post to get the card for the past two years”. Interestingly, Marimuthu was one of the voters who got the card as soon as it was introduced. “I needed a replacement and I applied on the direction of an official. But I was told that my name was not found in the new list and so I must apply again,” Marimuthu said. “I have applied about four times, but till now my name has not been added to the list and neither has my wife Mariayee’s name. There are several concessions for the aged in many of the departments but this department is only causing agony for senior citizens like me. Can’t I vote this time?’’ he asked. The case of C Perumal (60) of E B Colony, Tiruchy, is different. “I was given a receipt after verification on July 28, 2008 and was asked to wait to get the EPIC but in vain. So I went to the Corporation Office where, I was told, the cards were being distributed. When I went there a few months back, the officials told me that my name was not on the list though I was given a verification number for myself and my wife, P Lakshmi,” Perumal said. However, when he went to the Corporation Office on Tuesday, the officials in charge of issuing the photo cards asked him to meet the bill collector. ``I do not know the reason. This is my third visit to the Corporation Office but there was no one to guide me further,” Perumal said in a dejected mood. The list of people like Marimuthu, and Perumal is endless. To name a few, V Bagyalakshmi, D Siva and M Punniavathy have also had similar problems. Asked for his reaction, the Corporation Commissioner, TT Balsamy, said that there were only 10,000 cards left to be issued and the distribution would be over within a few days. “We have been receiving applications for fresh voters also. We have received 12,000 applications so far and the field verification is on,” the Commissioner pointed out. Either more officers should be deputed on election duty, or local politicians must help guide the voters through the process. Otherwise the objective of a fair election for all may fast become a fairy tale for senior citizens. Copyright © 2008 Express Buzz.