Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

February 17, 2009

NAMIBIA: Valentine’s Not Everyone’s Cup of Tea

. WINDHOECK, Namibia / New Era / February 17, 2009 By Helvy Tueumuna OSHAKATI – Valentine’s Day was celebrated worldwide including the northern town of Oshakati. But people from different social backgrounds and age groups in Oshakati had different meanings and interpretations of Valentine’s Day. “When I worked at the smelter (TCL in Tsumeb), sometimes whites (employers) would give us presents to take to our families because it was Valentine’s Day. I didn’t really know what it was until my Damara-speaking girlfriend explained it to me. She told me that it was the day of love. She would demand special treatment that day, but I am an Oshiwambo-speaking man, I don’t believe in such things. I’m not a coward,” says Simon Johanes (67), a resident of Oshakati. Johannes said he believes Valentine’s Day was a day created by women so that they can seek attention from men. According to him, he will never commemorate Valentine’s Day and will always discourage his children from believing in Valentine. Although she had a different opinion, Nazareth Kakala said she fully understands what Valentine’s Day is all about. She said many people think they know what Valentine’s Day is but they don’t. According to Kakala, Valentine’s Day is supposed to be a day of mourning, not a celebration. In addition, the young woman said Valentine’s Day should be commemorated like Cassinga Day and other days where people commemorate the deaths of loved ones. “Look at me, I am wearing black today because I am commemorating the death of a woman who was murdered because of love. Valentine’s Day is not supposed to be the day of roses and presents. Those things are encouraging murderers to think that if they kill in the name of love, it will be celebrated. After all, it is not an African culture to celebrate death. We mourn, we cry, we show remorse – we don’t celebrate.” According to Kakala, she spends Valentine’s Day with her family. “I cannot spend Valentine’s with a man. Today they (men) are killing women; if you spend your day with him, he can kill you and claim that he did it in the name of love.” Also coming up with a different view on Valentine’s Day was Hilen Shatumbu, a resident of Ongwediva. Although she is at the stage where her age mates celebrate the day, on Saturday afternoon (February 14, 2009) Shatumbu was wearing a yellow T-shirt with brown prints and a pair of jeans. Shatumbu considers Valentine’s Day as a day where young girls and boys break the rules and engage in sexual activities. “Just go to high school now – you will find them standing in the dark corners doing all sorts of forbidden activities, apparently it’s because of Valentine. I don’t celebrate such evil.” Wearing a red skirt and a white top was Rauna Amunyela, hairdresser at Ongwediva Hair Salon. Although Amunyela said she will always dress up in red and white on February 14, it would be her last year to exchange presents. “I did not know what Valentine’s was until today.” The programme on Valentine’s Day, broadcast on a local radio station, gave Amunyela a different view of Valentine’s Day. “The programme made me understand that Valentine’s Day is a commemoration of someone’s death – it’s not about presents.” While talking to Hamunyela, a man walked into the salon with a parcel in his hand and handed it to another woman who was also wearing red and white. “I gave my wife a Valentine’ present, because me and my wife believe in Valentine’s Day,” said Salomo Mukwendja, who personally delivered a valentine’s gift to her wife Selma at Ongwediva Hair Salon. The Mukwendja family maintained that although they show each other love every day, Valentine’s Day is a special day for them. Josua Ferdinand, also a fan of Valentine’s Day, said he normally celebrates the special day with his girlfriend. “We used to go out, hang around and eat out but she is not here.” Ferdinand said now that his girlfriend is not in the area, he will still go out with his friend and have a good time as is his culture to go out on the day of love. John Joseph, Ferdinand’s friend said for him Valentine’s Day is a foreign culture. “Apparently it is the day of showing love, but for me love should be shown every day, not just once a year.” About the author Helvy Tueumuna: Journalist at New Era Oshakati Where I grew up: Ongwediva Places I've lived: Windhoek and Ongwediva Companies I've worked for: Informantè and Namibian Sun Schools I've attended: Unam, Haimbili Haufiku SSS, Tucsin Other names: Kula Copyright 2008 ©New Era Publications