Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

January 30, 2009

JAPAN: Indonesians training at nursing homes

. OSAKA, Japan / The Yomiuri Shimbun / January 30, 2009 About 100 Indonesian trainees who came to Japan last year under the bilateral economic partnership agreement to obtain the Japanese care worker's license were dispatched to about 50 facilities nationwide Thursday for on-the-job training. They will train at nursing homes and other facilities for three years before taking the national exam for the license. Among the trainees are Tita Hartiwi, 22, and Nuriah, 27. The two women began training together at the Okamoto-so nursing home in Takamatsu. Although some of the elderly residents appeared nervous on meeting the new trainees, they soon smiled and relaxed. Hartiwi said: "I watched Japanese anime [in my country] when I was a child, and I loved Japan. I want to overcome the language barrier and communicate clearly with elderly people." Ken Ishikawa, administrative director of the social welfare corporation managing the facility, said: "They're highly motivated. I'm sure they'll do a good job." © The Yomiuri Shimbun