Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

November 6, 2008

U.K.: Super great-gran Dorothy shapes up in style

. WARRINGTON, England / The Warrington Guardian / November 5, 2008 By Mark Lomas A GREAT-GRANDMA who is JJB gym's oldest member is encouraging Warrington's residents to keep up a healthy lifestyle after celebrating her 92nd birthday in style last Friday. Dorothy Hill, from Orford,, has been swimming at the gym, on Bank Street, since Warrington swimming baths closed in 2003. She has become a hugely popular figure visiting most Fridays with her friend, Audrey,- and the JJB staff felt it only fair that they should pay tribute by organising a party. The mum-of-three, grandmother of seven and great-grandmother of five, was in high spirits at her birthday bash, insisting that age should not be a barrier to exercise. She said: "I highly recommend swimming when you're older. I think many of my generation might be a bit scared of coming but it's fantastic and you meet so many lovely people. "I love swimming and always use the jacuzzi and steam room, before having a coffee in the bar afterwards. The staff are wonderful and it's very relaxing." Juice bar assistant Julie Warren has been serving Mrs Hill her lattes for the past four years and took responsibility for organising the party. She said: "Dorothy's a real inspiration and as soon as I discovered it was her birthday, I knew we had to do something. "She's marvellous, a real woman of substance." Mrs Hill has led a remarkably active life, dancing from a young age in a travelling troupe before moving into hairdressing at a family-run salon on Dial Street. In 1962, she moved to new premises in Gorse Street, Orford, where she remained until retiring only three years ago with her daughter, Davina, after an incredible 73 years as a hairdresser. Mrs Hill, who bowled for Rylands ladies and still dances every Monday at St Oswald's Church, urged the people of Warrington to keep as active as possible. She added: "I've really loved living in Warrington. There are just so many places to go if you want to stay fit and healthy, it's just up to people to take those opportunities." © Copyright 2001-2008 Newsquest Media Group