Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

October 12, 2008

USA: Over 500 Seniors Treated as Stars for the Day

. ROYAL OAK, Michigan (Mirror), October 12, 2008 First Seniors Salute was a fabulous event By Megan Pennefather Miror Staff Writer Geri Cariglia of Royal Oak wasn't planning to go to the first Senior Salute event at the Royal Oak Farmers Market Monday. But with the election approaching, she wanted to talk to some of the politicians who were attending, including state Sen. John Pappageorge, who hosted the event. In addition to getting to talk to politicians like U.S. Rep. Joe Knollenberg, Cariglia also got an event that included more than 50 vendors in a consumer health fair, games, a hot lunch from Big Boy restaurants, free flu shots and blood pressure checks, cell phone giveaways and raffles. "I like this," Cariglia said. "I would come back to something like this." Pappageorge and event sponsor American House hope the nearly 500 local seniors who showed up for the five-hour event think that way, too. "I think it went very well," Pappageorge said. "What I'm really happy about is the seniors really had a good time. ... I already said I'm going to do it every year." The only glitch was that by 2 p.m., most of the attendees had cleared out - with an hour left to the event. It seems there was a line outside the front of the Farmers Market by 9:15 a.m., with a mass exodus shortly after lunch was served. Still, said Market Master Gwen Ross, the event was a huge success. "I thought it was fabulous," she said. "It showcased two different things. This half looked like a sit-down lunch, and the other half looked like a business expo." Pappageorge said when one of his staffers came up with the idea for the event, he was all for it. "Could be because I'm a senior," he said. mpennefather@hometownlife.com Copyright ©2008 the Observer & Eccentric Newspapers, Mirror Newspapers