Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

July 18, 2008

U.K.: Weight-loss challenge nets £15,000 for older people's charity

LONDON, England (Caring Business), July 18, 2008: A charity, which works to protect vulnerable older adults has benefited by £15,000 from the weight loss endeavours of John Murphy, group managing director of Southern Cross Healthcare. John raised a magnificent £7,500 which was doubled to £15,000 by the company. John lost a total of 23 pounds and 17 inches during his two months of salad, fruit and low calorie meals and has significantly reduced his body fat content and other vital statistics. The weight loss challenge was inspired by John’s desire to get fit and, with the added incentive of colleagues and friends sponsoring him John was determined not to falter. The money raised will help the work of Action on Elder Abuse. The charity provides advice and guidance to older people and others through dedicated helplines; provides training to care staff and others and works with regulators, care providers and the Government to highlight and tackle the issue of elder abuse. John said: 'I have a zero tolerance to Elder Abuse so I embarked on this very demanding and challenging adventure. I’d like to thank everyone who supported me and I’m very pleased, both on a personal level for the improvement in my health and fitness and for Action on Elder Abuse, which will benefit from the generosity of my sponsors. 'I actually began enjoying myself towards the end, and even look forward to going to the gym. I am determined to continue with a healthy lifestyle and not let all my hard work go to waste.' Source: Caring Business