This spring it is quite common to observe men and women exercising in the early hours of the day at parks all across Istanbul that have been outfitted with fitness equipment by the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality.
"I have been exercising for the last four years, but I started using the equipment placed at parks around a year ago. Earlier I had severe pain in my neck and shoulders. Since I started exercising at this park, my pains have subsided to a great extent," noted İbrahim Dilbilir, a retired teacher, speaking to Sunday's Zaman.The İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality first equipped a park in the Kadıköy district with fitness equipment in 2006 with the objective of encouraging locals to exercise on a regular basis. When that park became quite popular among İstanbulites, the municipality decided to turn its initiative into a full-blown campaign and has so far equipped a total of 140 parks with fitness equipment.
It aims to install fitness equipment in around 100 more parks all across İstanbul by the end of this year.
"In the past, I used to go for a walk for a certain period of time everyday in order not to gain weight, but I still suffered from pain in my neck and shoulders. Then our municipality outfitted our park with fitness equipment. Since I started exercising there, pain is mostly a thing of the past and I feel great," remarked Dilbilir.
Dilbilir starts his exercise routine at 9 every morning. He feels the parks have advantages over fitness centers. "Fitness centers are generally situated in basements and lack fresh air. One needs to take deep breaths, preferably of fresh air, while exercising, but it is not possible to do so in fitness centers. When I exercise at this park, I can feel the fresh air invigorating my lungs."
Fuat Zeki Yıldırım, another citizen who regularly exercises at one of the "healthy life parks," said he overcame his health problems after he started exercising on a daily basis. "I am 65. I suffered from hypertension and severe backaches. For the last year and a half, I have been coming to this park regularly to exercise early in the morning. I first take a walk and then use the fitness equipment. It is great to exercise in the fresh air," he noted.
A wide variety of fitness equipment, from rowing machines to exercise bikes and treadmills to elliptical trainers, is available at these parks.
Some exercise buffs, however, complain that there are no trainers at most of these parks to show them how to use the fitness equipment in a proper manner.
"I suffer from diabetes and my doctor has advised me to lose weight. I have been exercising for at least an hour every day since January. I also try to work out on the gym equipment at our fitness park, but I find it difficult to use," noted Mukadder Kahveci, a 54-year-old housewife.
Kahveci, emphasizing that many of her friends who exercise at the same park complain about the absence of an expert to show them the right way to use the equipment, said they would exercise in a more effective manner if they had a trainer to guide them.
"We want to use the gym equipment here but are afraid of hurting ourselves. A trainer can show us how to use the equipment," she reiterated.
Seyfi Timur, a body building and fitness expert, explained the dangers of using fitness equipment without being properly informed. "If the equipment is used without the guidance of an expert, it may pose threats to one's health and safety." The gym equipment placed in parks should be examined to see whether it is appropriate for human health, he said.
Timur noted that if used improperly such equipment could adversely affect one's cardiac rhythm. It would be best to be guided by an expert while exercising at such parks," he said. Timur said people are right to want fresh air while exercising.
"There is no regulation or law under which fitness centers must be inspected for compliance with standards of hygiene. But recently there was an initiative introduced that would require fitness centers to meet such standards. This policy is expected to go into effect in the next few months. There will be pecuniary fees and other sanctions to encourage fitness centers to comply with the standards," he added.
Professor Ömer Kozan, secretary-general of the Turkish Society of Cardiology (TKD), warned the public to undergo a full medical check before starting an exercise program. "We witness so many deaths from heart attacks, triggered by intensive exercise without knowing about one's health condition," he noted.
Opportunity to socialize
Exercising at healthy life parks is also considered an opportunity to socialize, especially by elderly people.
"I come to this park early in the morning and witness dozens of people almost competing with one another to use gym equipment on weekdays. I cannot describe the number of people on weekends. Old and young people exercise together. It is a great opportunity to make new friends and exchange ideas on a wide variety of issues," said Hasan Kadirler, a 62-year-old retired restaurant owner. He said many people had become close friends after they started exercising at the same park.
"People from different financial or social status get to know each other. They advise each other on various issues and share so many things. It is great to be here," added Kadirler.
Domestically produced equipment
Fatma Başeğmez, director general of Global Park -- which won last year's tender launched by the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality for equipping parks with fitness equipment, said all gym equipment placed at the parks had been designed and produced in Turkey.
"We also export fitness equipment to a wide variety of countries such as France, Germany, Australia, Holland and Romania," she noted.
Başeğmez, noting that the interest shown in healthy life parks by citizens is increasing each day, said the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality aims to outfit more parks with fitness equipment in the next few years.
"Equipment at these parks is not as high-tech as that at fitness centers, but it meets the needs of our citizens. We design the equipment to withstand winter and summer conditions. There is something for people of all ages," remarked Başeğmez.
The equipment at these parks does not pose a threat to people's health. "There are trainers to show how to use the equipment at many parks. At parks where such trainers are not available the equipment has illustrated instructions on usage. It is all quite safe," she added.
BETÜL AKKAYA İSTANBUL