Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

April 7, 2008

CANADA: Self-sufficiency, charitable work keys to longevity for Niagara Falls resident all set to celebrate 96th birthday

NIAGARA FALLS, Ontario (Niagara Falls Review), April 7, 2008: By Nancy Reynolds Golden memories of golden years sustain Irene Elliott as she prepares to celebrate her 96th birthday. Her birthday is in May and will mark one more year during which she worked hard at maintaining her wit and her strength. Among those memories are 50 years of membership in the Niagara Falls Pilot Club. "I think about learning, working, befriending and a lot about laughing." She is the only surviving charter member of the local club. During those 50 years, many socio-economic conditions and many community directions have been served by club members. Their charitable work takes them in many life directions: Members knit "Linus" blankets for newborns; sponsor a girls' minor league baseball team; buy wheelchairs for the hospital and play bingo with nursing home residents. When the well-known Pilot Fashion Show began 15 years ago, Irene was one of the models. This year, she plans to attend the April show as a spectator, but remains one of the smartest-dressed people encountered anywhere. Proceeds from this show will result in even more wheelchairs being purchased for the hospital. Irene uses a walker these days and sometimes finds it hard to get around, but every two days she walks a total of three miles of hallways at Queenston Place, where she resides. "I walk everyday. A doctor (long gone) once told me if I wanted to live well, I had to help myself and I do." She takes part in most activities at the retirement home and watches TV news programs "to keep on top of things." She reads and communicates with everyone around her. "I sometimes forget names, but I'm interested in people and their opinions." Irene will tell you her view and is always willing to defend. Irene never misses a conversational beat and her voice and opinions could be shared by any 40-year-old. When the Pilot Club celebrates its 50th anniversary in June, Irene hopes to be on hand. For 30 years, Irene worked in the office at Rosberg's department store. It wasn't her first job, but it is the one she settled into and best recalls. "I retired from there." During those years, she met countless local people, some of whom she meets again today. "They actually remember me." Irene has a daughter in Hamilton and a son in Calgary and "my daughter is my strength and quite often, she is my memory." For many years, her church was a vital part of her life. In her early days, she was president of the Young People's organization at St. Davids United Church. She graduated to a variety of church groups and in later years, joined the congregation at St. Andrew's. "They visit me here and keep in touch and I enjoy that." Church members even marked her 95th birthday and that was a real surprise and joy. Pilot Club president Kathy Coombs keeps in touch with Irene and there are plans for the June celebration that can't be completed without her. And that will be one more golden moment for the club and for Irene. © 2008 Osprey Media