Remember ME - You Me and Dementia
April 28, 2008
AUSTRALIA: Caroline Nicholls' 100 happy returns with 19 great grandkids, 8 great great grandkids
WARWICK, Queensland, Australia (Warwick Daily News), April 28, 2008:
CAROLINE Nicholls has the best piece of advice for those who want to reach the same milestone she will this week: her 100th birthday.
"Don't worry," Mrs Nicholls' favourite motto goes.
"That's the main thing in life don't worry and you will have a very happy life like I have."
Mrs Nicholls still recalls the day she met her husband Norman at church in Pratten.
"We used to go to dances when we were young and had tennis parties where we lived at South Toolburra," she said.
About 70 family and friends gathered at the St Mark's Anglican Church hall on Saturday to celebrate Mrs Nicholls' 100th birthday.
This included her two daughters, nine grandchildren, 19 great grandchildren and eight great-great-grandchildren.
Mrs Nicholls remembers the day she named her farm which she shared with husband Norman after they were married in 1930.
"I told him it didn't have a name and he said 'well what should it be?' I looked at him and said 'you and I' so we called it 'Uandi' and lived there until 1989," she said.
A self-proclaimed lover of history, Mrs Nicholls said the Leslie brothers had called this same farm home.
"Then it was cut up and my father bought the homestead," she said.
Mrs Nicholls said her new residence at Akooramak was a "home away from home".
"I've had a very good life," she said.
© APN News & Media Ltd 2008