Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

March 17, 2008

VIET NAM: In a previous life, I was Vietnamese, says Japanese businessman

HA NOI (CPV - Viet Name Bridge), March 17, 2008:

Some foreigners have an intrinsic love of Viet Nam, but the most serious one is Hidenhiko Nakagawa. Seeking business opportunities this Japanese man soon fell in love with Vietnam and felt happy living in Viet Nam.

You have a special love for Vietnam. Could you tell us why Viet Nam is special?

Have been to 45 nations. I fell in love at first sight with Viet Nam when I came here. My wife and I first travelled to Viet Nam in June 2006. I had a feeling that in a previous life, I was Vietnamese and now I seemed to be returning to my home country. I did not much know about the country, but had a strong feeling that Viet Nam was my second homeland.

In November 2006, I came back to Viet Nam with 8 other Japanese businessmen. I had convinced them to take a fact-finding trip to Viet Nam for investment. I loved Viet Nam and wanted other Japanese to love Viet Nam too. I want Viet Nam to become as developed and prosperous as Japan. If any country is richer than Japan, I wish it to be Viet Nam.

Your key aim is business. If you had failed to find any business prospects in Viet Nam, would you still love Viet Nam as much as you do?

Viet Nam strongly attracted me. I first came here for business. Besides material benefits, there is human feeling. I lived and succeeded in business in the US, but I did not love that nation. I have yet to be successful in Viet Nam; however, I do love Viet Nam. That is the free choice of my heart.

It is Vietnamese people who inspire me. During trips to more than 20 provinces and cities across Viet Nam, I found people are are good-hearted. The vitality of Viet Nam 's young generation impresses. Their faces express cheerfulness, liveliness, studiousness and determination for success. They are different from today’s Japanese youth.

Today Japan is a nation with an ageing population and faces a shortage of young people. That is a threat to Japan’s labour force. Japanese youth tend to leave behind tradition and national identity and follow a modern and pragmatic way of living. In the post-war days, our ancestors enthusiastically constructed Japan. Today’s youth are already well-equipped. Therefore, their determination and creative aspiration is less than before. That is a threat we are trying to solve.

Viet Nam is still poor. Vietnamese youth are industrious, keen on studying, grasp information and expertise from developed countries. That is Vietnam’s strength and vital force.

Since starting business in Vietnam in late 2006, I founded Nhat Tinh Viet Company to provide advice for Japanese businessmen who want to invest in Viet Nam. Profit is not our target. I am really happy to see more Japanese investment in Viet Nam. That is because “I love Viet Nam”.

My father, an expert with 40 years experiences at Mitsubishi bank, loves Viet Nam too. He has accepted an invitation to work as a counselor for a business in Viet Nam.
This summer, my wife and three sons will settle down in Vietnam. My children will study in international high schools and universities here, while my wife will teach computer science to the elderly. I will open a Japanese cultural centre in Ho Chi Minh City to teach Japanese language, Japanese martial arts and other arts.

I wait for implementation of the newly ratified policy allowing foreigners to legally buy houses in Vietnam, so that I can own one. It is on the way.

Source: CPV