Wakefield woman Maureen Wilkins is eager to adopt as many customs of her new country as possible, but there are some Kiwi habits -- like putting your elderly parents in resthomes -- she is refusing to pick up. "I told my husband when I married him, I wasn't just marrying him, I was marrying his family," said Mrs Wilkins, who is from a Fijian background.
When the couple moved to Nelson they collected her husband's mother from the resthome she was in and she now lives with them in Wakefield. "We are very, very happy," said Mrs Wilkins. "I haven't got my own Mum and Dad, but his mother is there and I think she's everything for me."
Mrs Wilkins was one of 34 people made New Zealand citizens at a ceremony in Richmond on Thursday. She moved to New Zealand 12 years ago, and to the Nelson region nine years ago, after meeting her future husband in Fiji. She initially worked as a nurse, but had decided to change her career and now worked at Sealords in the factory. She said she loved her new job as she was able to leave her work behind when she went home, and she had lots of great friends. She was also very excited at officially becoming a Kiwi.By Sally Kidson
© Fairfax New Zealand Limited 2007.