By Aisha Iqbal
For centenarians Sally Lodge and Phyllis Matthews, the secrets to a long and happy life are simple – keep a smile on your face, a song in your heart and your loved ones around you. The two friends, are both residents at the Soothill Manor care home in Batley.
On Sunday, Sally celebrated her 101st birthday with a massive party. Phyllis marked her own 100th birthday just a fortnight ago and along with 102-year old Yvonne Pauling, the silver-haired trio are the home’s three resident centenarians.
Milestone: Their exclusive little club will soon have additions - when two more residents reach their 100-year milestone.
Ahead of her birthday party and slap-up-dinner on Sunday, grandmother Sally joked: “I haven’t done that badly. Sally Lodge
I have had a good and a happy life. I was never one for trimming up my face to look young. I have been very fortunate and have always had a happy family and a lot of friends around me.
Phyllis, who was born Dewsbury, said she was the daughter of singers – a tenor and a soprano – and had always enjoyed belting out the odd tune herself.
© 2008 Johnston Press Digital Publishing