Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

January 21, 2008

INDIA: Mumbai Marathon Meant Many Things To Seniors Celebrating Ageing

For Mumbai silver brigade, it's never too late for a marathon

MUMBAI (The Times Of India), January 21, 2008:

"Chronologically 69, energetically 39", screamed a T-shirt donned by a senior citizen at Sunday's marathon, summing up the enthusiasm quotient of the silver brigade. Flagged off at 8.10 am, the senior citizen's race took off amid loud peals of laughter from participants drowning the cheers from onlookers.

"We are trying to spread laughter and good spirits," said K M Naik, who had come with his group of walkers Priyadarshini Park, throwing his hands up in the air and doubling up with laughter, only to have tens of others mimic his act.

A sea of yellow, the senior citizens were mostly in T-shirts of voluntary organisation Harmony for Silvers Foundation, which was backing the 4.2 km mini marathon for senior citizens.

Their spirits were even brighter. Take Neena Wagle, a self-proclaimed dancer who performed an impromptu jig to the latest numbers as she neared TV cameras.

Or octagenarian Nirmal Banerjee, who broke into a toothless grin, showed off his T-shirt to prove that he had run the Toronto Marathon in his heydays. In fact, the exuberant group (1,820 entries) nearly forgot all about timing as they neared the main celeb-studded podium and happily danced away.

Old age is all about reliving childhood and some like Sudhir Kesaria (60) from Andheri certainly proved it true. Dressed in a traditional kathiawadi outfit, complete with the turban and stick, Kesaria who was participating in the marathon for the first time, sportingly paraded his dress the entire stretch, not even letting a fractured leg come in the way.

"It is the first time I am doing a fancy dress. I actually rented the costume," he said.

For most seniors who are accustomed to their early morning walks, Sunday was just a shift of venue. Their never-say-die spirit was best captured by 86-year-old Vithal Shevalkar who hobbled on his stick, all the way from Mulund with his usual walkers only to soak in the festivities. So too for nonagerian Shalini Chirputker who swelled in self-pride on completing the senior citizen's marathon.

Copyright © 2008 Times Internet Limited.
__________________________________________________________
60 plus and still going strong

MUMBAI (The Indian Express), January 21, 2008:

For Dr. Bibekanand Tripathi (62), a veterinary surgeon from Cuttack, the Mumbai Marathon has always been an event to look forward to at the beginning of each year. The winner of the veterans marathon event here in 2005 , he has a long list of accolades to his name, and Mumbai is just one of the stops in his calendar.

“The Mumbai Marathon has been one of my favourites. There’s so much colour and enthusiasm associated with it, and the locals here seem to take such active interest in it. I ranked first in the veterans event here in 2005, and could not make it last year as my mother passed away. I made sure I did not miss it this time, though I haven’t made it to the first few positions this time,” said Tripathi, catching a breather after completing the gruelling 42 km run.

A retired officer of the Nandankanan Zoo in Bhubaneshwar, Tripathi arrived in the city with his wife Sarojini on January 19. This is the third time he has partcipated in the Mumbai Marathon, and is a regular feature in the international veterans marathon circuit. “My next target would be the World Veterans Marathon in Italy, and I am training hard for the event. However, I am facing major problems in finding a sponsor. In 1999, I received a consolation prize at the London Marathon, and in 1997 I completed the Durban Marathon. Besides this, I have won silver at the National Games in 1974 and 1981,” said Tripathi.

A vetaran who refuses to let time catch up with him, Tripathi has no intentions of taking it easy on himself in the near future. He has been an inspiration for his son Subrath (29), who is an accomplished athlete in his own right. “I don’t consider my age at all, as I feel as fit as a fiddle. I train every day to stay in shape, and running gives me intense satisfaction. I even trained my son, who used to hold the Orissa state records for the 10,000 metres and half marathon seniors events. I intend to be back here next year as well,” Tripathi assured.

Sagnik Choudhury

Old Lady with a golden cause

It was a sensational debut for London’s Sellen Barett in the fourth edition of the Mumbai Marathon on Sunday. The 51-year-old Barett won the Senior Citizens 4.3 km race and though she won the title, she said that this will be her last race. “Earlier, I haven’t taken part in any marathon, this is my first and last one,” smiled Barett, who is a fitness trainer in London. According to Barett it wasn’t an easy route to the title, since it was hot and humid in Mumbai with the climate not favouring her. “It was a very tough race, it’s so hot here,” she said sweating profusely, further adding, “I didn’t know it would be so difficult to run.”

When asked whether she would like to take part in any other marathon outside India, she replied, “No, you need to practice for it. Initially, I was feeling better but after I completed 2 kms, it was a tough task.”

Barett participated in the race for charity and said that she will donate her prize money to the NGO Magic Bus. “They invited me to take part, and I was really excited. Whatever the cash prize I won will be donated to Magic Bus,” she said.

Barett is a member of Magic Bus and they sponsor these sportspersons here. She said, “We sponsor sportspersons from various fields and encourage them to do well. We have sponsored three marathon runners from London and two from India,” she said.

- Devendra Pandey

Sellen Barett, 51, flanked by Bollywood actors John Abraham and Bipasha Basu who flagged off the 7km Dream Run.
________________________________________________________


Photo Copyright: PTI

MUMBAI (Press Trust of India), January 20, 2008:

Many athletes applauded and shook his hand as he crossed the finish line of the half marathon event at the Mumbai Marathon today, but for 83-year-old Srikrishna Deshpande it was just another race.

Deshpande, hailing from Belgaum and a former employee with the postal department, ran the 21km route barefoot. "I practice almost every day and have been running for the last 25 years now. I have been running in many events and everyone in my village knows me for it," he said after finishing the race.

Deshpande said he had taken up running to improve his health and was also encouraging his son to take part in it.

Another senior citizen, who was running the same event with him was 67-year-old Rajaram Padwal, also a resident of Belgaum. "This was my second marathon. The last time I had clocked one hour and 50 minutes while I have managed to improve it to one hour 39 minutes this year," said the former soldier who was with the Maratha regiment.

Padwal, who ran the race wearing canvas shoes as compared to many runners who wore advanced running shoes, said he was happy with his timing given the fact that the winner had clocked one hour five minutes in the same event.

Source : PTI