Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

October 9, 2007

USA: Senior Uses Bicycling To Keep Nimble In Old Age

TAHLEQUAH, Oklahoma (Tahlequah Daily Press), October 9, 2007: For senior citizens, every day exercise is crucial to maintain mobility and to keep a good quality of life. Nobody needs to tell local bicyclist Ron Austin of that. Austin, 72, has been riding his bike for at least six years, but has been a workout guru all of his life. "I swam competitively," Austin said. "I won the state championship in my age group in swimming. After I got burned out swimming, I began running and I ran 10 marathons. My best time was three hours and 24 minutes and then I became injured, so I went to bicycling. That seems to stretch and loosen up my injury." Austin and his wife Angela bike ride together almost nightly, but Ron takes his riding a little more seriously. "She doesn't train as religiously as I do," Ron said. "I try to carry a year round, good level of conditioning. If there is an event I want to participate in, I'll try to get 12 weeks of strenuous training in. I'll go for a peak and then taper off. A week is all I really need to taper." Both Ron and Angela rode in the Tulsa Bicycle Club's Fall Century ride on Sept. 29. In the ride, competitors had their choice of 10, 30, 50, 62 or 100 miles. Ron rode in the 62 miles while Angelia rode 24.5 miles. "For me, for years I was inactive and couldn't do much of anything involving sports and it's just been two and a half years that we've been riding together," Angela, 59, said. "It's really increased my respiration, my lung capacity, helped my ability to hold my breath, I used to get tired on my feet. It really does keep me in shape." Ron's average speed was 13 miles per hour on the ride. "That was a goal I had set for myself," Ron said. "I had set a time goal, but I fell short of that. It was still a good ride. I thought I'd do a better job on a 62." Along with better fitness, Ron said cycling has also lowered Angela's blood pressure, which was high before she started. Ron said that he has been able to use all three sports, running, swimming, and cycling together throughout his training. "I use the same training methods for this," Ron said. "Some of the methods that I used in swimming, I also used for running and bicycling. I learned a lot and that's really helping me now." Ron said he's lucky to have found a partner for his workout routines. "It's real nice," Ron said. "I don't impose the same strenuous training on her. I'm well aware that people are in different stages and need different training programs. She's been a big supporter. I'm hoping more older people, especially women, will come and join her." As a result of the cycling. Ron said that while he has suffered some of the ravages of old age such as hearing loss, he has the cardiovascular system of a 45-50-year-old, according to his doctors. Ron said if one's goal is to be competitive, then a pretty good bike is required, however if one's only goal is to stay in shape, all they need is something they can pedal. "You can get in shape with a cheap bike," Ron said. "It's really good to consult a specialist to find out what kind of bike is right for you. You need to be a fit for that bike. The frame has to be right and it has to be the right size." By Travis Metcalf Associated Press content © 2007