Even at the age of 100, Violet Denham tells it like it is. Mrs Denham, who celebrates her 100th birthday today, was born at Palmerston North and spent her early years living in a tent on the Waitotara River.
"I was about three then and I remember that my father had another woman," she says from her chair by the window at Chalmers Rest Home. There is uneasy laughter from family members nearby, but Mrs Denham is undeterred. "I'm just telling you how it was."

Violet Denham (right) today joins Jessie Shepherd (left) and Mary Sheehan in the Chalmers Rest Home centenarian club. Photo: Trevor Read
Mrs Denham says she has had a good life, milking cows by hand when she was young followed by a career in cooking, which she did at Taranaki Hospital on Barrett Rd for about 20 years.
"I still love cooking whenever I can get into my kitchen," she says. "I can't read the recipe books, but I can still cook."
One of her grandaughters, Sharon Clarry, remembers her planting potatoes only last year. Mrs Denham, who is in good health apart from failing eyesight and hearing, has spent the past 40 years of her life in New Plymouth. She entered Chalmers a few months ago, convalescing after an illness.
She had five children, but there is debate over the number of grandchildren. Eventually the number "lots" is decided on.
She joins two other Chalmers residents who are already members of the century club. Mary Sheehan and Jessie Shepherd celebrated their 101st birthdays this year. Chalmers manager Rae O'Grady says three centenarians is a first for the resthome.
Mrs Sheehan was 16 when she arrived in Taranaki from Lebanon with her husband and baby.
Mrs Shepherd was born in Kent and moved to Hong Kong with her husband in 1937. The couple were evacuated to New Zealand just before World War II.
Mrs Denham has advice for aspiring centenarians.
"Eat well, think well and keep yourself busy."
By Sharon Marris