Remember ME - You Me and Dementia
October 9, 2007
BAHRAIN: 63-Year-Old Grandmother of 7 Stranded
.
MANAMA, Bahrain / Gulf Daily News / October 8, 2007:
Family SOS By Aniqa Haider
An Indian woman stranded in Bahrain is hoping to legalise herself, her 37-year-old daughter and her seven grandchildren, under the government's general amnesty.
Kunhipurayil Ayisha, aged 63, came to Bahrain in 1985 to work as a housemaid for a Bahraini family. She worked for almost a year and got married to her Bahraini sponsor, who she said promised her a good life.
"I came to Bahrain to work as a housemaid 22 years ago and after a year, my Bahraini sponsor proposed marriage and we got married legally in the mosque and lead a pleasant life," said Ms Ayisha. "But unfortunately my husband passed away after 13 years of marriage."
The couple did not have children and Ms Ayisha said she never applied for a Bahraini passport. "I thought I wouldn't need one, but when I checked with the immigration after my husband's death, they said I should have valid passport and residence permit to apply for the Bahraini passport," she said. "As I was alone and had no-one else to support me, I brought my two daughters, Waheeda and Rasheeda from my earlier marriage, who were living in Kerala, India, to live with me. "I couldn't bring my only son, Raees, who disappeared at the age of 13, when I was in Bahrain."
Ms Ayisha said she was getting a pension of BD50 per month following her husband's death, but had not received it for the last five months. She said pension officials had called her to their office and told her she was no longer entitled to the payment, since she was not a legal resident.
"I am interested in applying for a Bahraini passport, but, as my Indian passport has expired long ago, I am not able to apply for one," she said.
Ms Ayisha says she and her daughters and grandchildren desperately want Bahraini nationality, so they can stay in what has become their home - but need Indian passports and valid visas before they can apply.
"It would be very difficult for us to go back to India," she said. "As my daughter's seven children, who were all born in Bahrain, don't know any other language than Arabic, they wouldn't be able to settle there."
The chidlren's mother Waheeda was married to an Arab, whose father was a Saudi and mother a Bahraini. "My husband had no passport from either country," said Waheeda. She said she and her husband had four girls and three boys, but divorced two months ago.
The eldest, a daughter, is 20 and the others are all school-going age, but had to stop going to school because following the divorce, they were left without legal documents. Waheeda says her Indian passport has expired and she has been unable to get work. "I am getting BD100 per month from my ex-husband for looking after my seven children, which is not enough," she said.
"I am aware that the Indian Embassy is not in a position to do anything in this matter, but if I and my children could get Bahraini passports, it would be good for their future."
"My eldest daughter, who finished high school two years ago, is sitting at home as she cannot apply for jobs."
"If she does, they ask her to bring her valid passport and CPR, which she does not have." Waheeda said she was staying in a rented flat in Tubli and paying BD150 along with the other daily expenses. "I worked as a maid in some houses for a while but faced many problems, so I left and now I depend on help from other people," she said. "Some of the social workers are helping me to manage with the daily expenses, by paying the little amount they raised for my children."
"But I need a permanent solution to this problem, as I don't want my children to suffer like myself and my mother."
Waheeda's sister went back to Kerala five years ago to take care of their elderly relatives and got married three months ago.
Ms Ayisha and Waheeda explained their current situation to Indian Ambassador Balkrishna Shetty during an open house at the embassy. They asked him to help renew their Indian passports, so they could apply for Bahraini nationality.
An Indian Embassy official said he was aware of the case and that the embassy was working on the renewal of their Indian passports.
Copyright © 2007 Gulf Daily News